SunWize solar engineering provides industry and government with cost-effective and dependable solar power systems for outdoor equipment where utility power is unavailable or impractical. Our solar engineering expertise includes off-grid solar power systems and solar hybrid systems which can include generators, fuel cells, thermo-electric generators (TEGs), and/or wind turbines for micro-grids or as secondary energy sources.
Hybrid systems are an excellent choice when low winter solar resources can make stand-alone off-grid solar systems impractical or expensive. Hybrid systems also let you choose the contribution of each renewable and non-renewable energy source.
SunWize Solar Hybrid System Data SheetClick Here to View Data Sheet
What are the key benefits of PV/hybrid technology?
- A hybrid system can usually cost-effectively power loads from 500 to 5,000 watts or more.
- The PV array is reduced in size from what it would be for a standalone system which drops the cost of the array.
- Since the battery bank does not exclusively carry the load through inclement periods of weather, it is also smaller, reducing battery costs.
- By carefully selecting the generator and rectifier sizes, we can optimize the loading on the generator. Optimal loading assures the highest efficiency operation, minimizes fuel consumption and maximizes intervals between required maintenance.
- By normally operating periodically, or according to an intended design, the engine can consume a wide range of fuel, depending on the specific project needs. Fueling and maintenance can vary, but is often between approximately 1-4 times per year. Exact fuel consumption will depend on load, run time, generator, and other factors.
- When multiple sites are deployed over a large geographic area, such as a microwave backbone system, we can standardize a single hybrid system design. The only variability is the engine contribution with the subsequent run intervals and fuel consumption. The physical and electrical designs of the power system are identical across the network so that the installation steps are the same at all sites.
- Sizing a hybrid power system is very different than sizing an stand-alone off-grid power system. For a hybrid power system, the solar array is optimized for maximum annual energy production. In a stand-alone off-grid system, the array is optimized for maximum energy production during the worst solar resource month of the year.
Most of the time when there is no sun, there is wind and vice versa. This hybrid system is more economical since the size of the battery storage can be reduced. The major advantage of a solar + wind hybrid installation when used together is reliability.
Usually the operating times for wind and solar systems occur at different times of the day, so the hybrid systems are more likely to produce power when needed.
The AC energy coming from the PV string inverters is used by the load and any excess energy not used by the load is stored through the inverter chargers, in the battery banks. When there is insufficient AC energy from the PV string inverters to feed the load, the inverter chargers will convert the DC energy stored in the battery banks, to feed the load. The wind powered generator recharges the battery bank whenever available.
A SunWize Off-Grid PV Genset Hybrid Power System at each diesel power generation site will provide dependable power while minimizing the run time of diesel generator. This approach offers substantial benefits in terms of reduced fuel costs and lower CO2 emissions as well as reduced maintenance and improved reliability. Assuming adequate cellular coverage at the site from a commercial offer, a cell modem monitoring system will provide remote monitoring of key power system data, remote diagnosis and control, allowing optimization of maintenance and fuel tank filling schedules, because energy is stored in the system the remote monitoring will functional even if the diesel genset becomes non-operational.
Where fuel supply is readily available, Fuel Cells are very suitable for a variety of climates. It can operate during any weather conditions and peak load conditions. A hybrid of Solar and Fuel Cell will make the system more reliable and Solar reduces the fueling costs. A solar/propane generator hybrid system where the generator is capable of operating “on demand”. When the solar array is reduced in size to below what it would be for standalone solar system, the result is a daily loss of battery capacity relative to the load demand. Since we can accurately predict the output of the solar array over time, we know on average what this loss rate will be. We can then determine the engine operation necessary to offset that loss. If we use a control software to start the on-demand generator at a set battery level, we can use the engine to rapidly recharge the battery bank while simultaneously providing power to the load.
A typical cycle might be an engine start every 5 days, running for 10 hours each event. The engine then shuts off and the solar array is once again operating in a mode where it is losing ground to the load on an average daily basis. Five days later the battery reaches the state-of-charge point where the controller starts the engine, and the cycle repeats.
Because the engine capacity in this hybrid is greater than the load requirement., the engine is able to recharge the battery and power the load in a relatively short amount of time. The engine runs less than 10% of the time while contributing 50% or more of the annual energy to the load.
Hybrid systems consisting of Thermoelectric and PV are very reliable due to the fact that they can operate in all climates.
Popular in the Oil & Gas industry where fuel is readily available, these Thermoelectric Generators typically provide baseload power, with battery backup systems providing energy storage in the event of a failure. Solar systems may also be used to power critical loads during TEG maintenance or downtime.
With over 20 years of proven reliability in extreme environments, our solar, battery backup, and hybrid power systems are pre-engineered, assembled and tested for easy installation and minimal maintenance. We also offer a broad spectrum of remote industrial power system components, such as electrical components, batteries, solar modules, enclosures, and solar module mounts, which can all me found for order on our online web store, SunWize Connect.
Not a customer? Apply now to receive preferred pricing & our highest levels of system design & technical sales support Dismiss